Saturday, January 31, 2009

Aluminum and sterling brooch part 2

I didn't take any photos till I got to this stage. It's ok, there wasn't much to see, I cut it out of 1/2" aluminum with the band saw, and then shaped it with a belt sander till I got to where its at in this photo.


I continued shaping it with a rotary tool and 1/2" cylinder bur. The burs seem to be the best way to shape aluminum, but I am really starting to get sick of getting covered with aluminum and getting aluminum everywhere. Something about aluminum chips I just don't like.


This is the silver piece. Most of the forming has been done. I used something like 22 gauge I think.


I was getting ready to cut the silver, but decided to bring the sides of the silver in a bit more. I have the aluminum piece covered with tape to see how it fits in the silver piece while keeping a space between the silver and aluminum.

Aluminum and sterling brooch part 1

I started a new brooch the other day. I was looking through my sketch book and saw this little drawing I had copied from my old sketch book into my new sketch book in August 2008, the original drawing was from August 4, 2005. It popped out and me and I knew I had to make it next. Rarely do I copy the designs in my sketch book as exactly as I did with this piece. Usually I change some things when I start making the piece. About the only change I have made in this is I have made the top part slightly skinnier.

Aug 2008 copy


Aug 4, 2005 drawing

Monday, January 12, 2009

My first piece, for real this time.

A while back I posted the first piece of metal work I did in 1996. Well I forgot that I actually did a piece long before that. I made this wire cat out of galvanized steel wire and soft solder around 1984 I think, when I was probably 9 years old. It's about 8.5" x 9.5".

I scanned this on my scanner that's why it's such a poor image, and it was slightly too big for the scanner.


Saturday, January 10, 2009

An update

There hasn't been much going on worth writing about lately. I have some commissions to do, but I really don't feel like working on anything. There is one piece I finished last month I still need to photograph. It's one of the folded sheet metal pieces. Those are always difficult to photograph, so I have kind of been putting it off.

I finished these lock picks the other day for a customer in the UK. They look simple but they were a pain to make. The simple looking things are always the most difficult. They are for picking dimple locks. A key for a dimple lock can be seen here.