This is the 2nd hammer head I made during the class. It's about the same as the one in my previous post. This one is not quite finished.
I started with round stock, cause there wasn't any square stock available in the right size. I cut one end on the lathe to the diameter I wanted the face to be.
Then I cut the rest of it square.
I put the vise at an angle to cut the tapered part behind the face.
I put it in the vise at an angle to cut the cross peen.
These photos are after I filed out the machining marks, and ground a few parts by hand. This is how it looks right now. I need to sand it. I don't know if I will harden this one, I might just work harden the face.