Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Finished chasing hammer

I finally finished and photographed my chasing hammer. I decided to copy an idea from one of my Flickr friends, Scott, and make the wedge out of ivory. Because it looks cool and I have had a piece of ivory for several years I never knew what to do with. He has an old hammer with an ebony handle that he made an ivory wedge for. He said he put the ivory wedge in his hammer about 25 years ago and the head is still tight. But I didn't talk to him about it till I was finished with my hammer and it was too late to do my wedge the same way he did his. So I will just have to wait and see how mine holds up.

I am glad I have finally made myself a chasing hammer. This hammer is going to replace the cheap Pakistani chasing hammer I have been using. Everything I make is usually either sold, I try to sell, or is kept for exhibitions. Very few things I keep just for myself.



No comments: