Yesterday I finally set up my anodizing equipment. My friend sent me this article about using pickle (sodium bisulfate) for the anodizing bath:
I was already planning to set up my anodizing stuff when I got the article and thought I would try it so I wouldn't need to find sulfuric acid. But I didn't have enough pickle left so I just went ahead and got battery acid at an auto parts store instead.
The author of the article talks about how much safer pickle is than sulfuric acid. Personally I have always hated pickle since I first started doing jewelry work in my apartment while I was at GIA. I didn't have a crock pot to heat the pickle, so I put some in the microwave to heat it. I guess some got in the microwave, and later when I heated some food it had sort of a pickle taste to it and it made me kind of sick.
Maybe I'll try pickle next time I have to set up anodizing equipment.