Wednesday, April 9, 2008

starting another piece

I started another new piece today. I am not sure how many I have going right now. I try to excuse these work habits by saying that I may not be finishing anything now, but later on I will finish several pieces all around the same time. Sometimes it works like that, sometimes it doesn't.

I am starting this new piece because lately I am sick of the work I have been doing. I just need a break from the aluminum. I need to do something totally different.

What I am making is another folded vessel form. I have made some of these before, here is an example, this one is in the 500 Metal Vessels book:


These are cut out of a single sheet of metal and folded. The ones I made before were smaller. The one pictured above was cut from a 12" x 12" piece of metal. The one I am working on now will be cut from a 24" x 24" piece of copper.

I think I have finalized the design tonight. Tomorrow before I start laying out the design on metal I will look it over once more and make sure I am satisfied with it. I went with the design on the left.


This is the shape of each piece.


This is pretty much what I will be cutting out of the metal. This is not the design I am making, but it is very close to the one I will make. The only difference is the location of 2 folds, and this model is slightly wider in one dimension.

No comments: