Thursday, October 22, 2009

Korea/Japan part 3 - Tokyo

On Oct. 10th I went to Tokyo. I met an old friend from GIA who I haven't seen in 7 or 8 years, she's Korean and is in Tokyo studying Japanese language. I also met a Japanese friend from elementary school who now lives in Tokyo. I hadn't seen him in over 20 years.

I hung out with my friend from GIA three days and went to some places with her, like Ameyayokocho and Asakusa. When I wasn't with my friends I mostly just took the train (Yamanote line) to different parts of the city and walked around.

Ameyayokocho:


Outside Sensouji Temple in Asakusa (below). Not exactly my favorite temple.




Harajuku:


Outside Shibuya Station:


Same place at night:


Shibuya:


I just realized there's crowds of people in all the photos I am posting. The whole city wasn't like that, but all the interesting places I saw were.

I have been to Japan 4 times before this trip, but this is the first time I have been to Tokyo. It was interesting, but it is not my favorite place in Japan. It's too big. But I liked Seoul because it was so huge. Go figure.

I felt somewhat dissatisfied with Tokyo. Visiting Tokyo was fine, but afterward I wanted to go someplace else in Japan. I didn't really feel like I had visited Japan. I'm sure I'll go back to Tokyo someday for some reason, but I think I would prefer to spend most of my time someplace other than Tokyo.

The flight back to Chicago was the best flight ever. I had three seats all to myself.

No comments: